Charles Louis Fleury Panckoucke, The interior of the house of Osman Bey, Cairo. "Vue intérieure de la Maison d'Osman Bey._Le Kaire" Paris Impremerie de C.L.F.Pancoucke 1820-1829
Copper engraved view of the interior of a noble Egyptian house, Cairo from the first volume of the "Etat Modene "of the "Description de l'Egypte," 2nd Edition; 1822; black & white; verso blank. Blind stamp of the publisher Panckoucke to margin. The view shows the courtyard of the house belonging to Osman Bey, Visitors arrive on horse and camel and are ushered up to an audience with the Bey. The view shows the ornate decoration of the house, with a minaret in the background. Good dark impression; some foxing mainly to blank margins.
"Description de l'Egypte, ou, Recueil des observations et des recherches qui ont été faites en Egypte pendant l'expédition de l'armée française."
When Napoleon Bonaparte invaded Egypt in 1798, he brought with him an entourage of more than 160 scholars and scientists. Known as the French Commission on the Sciences and Arts of Egypt, these experts undertook an extensive survey of the country's archeology, topography, and natural history. . For four years more than 150 artists, engineers, linguists, and scientists traveled throughout the country, examining almost every aspect of ancient and contemporary Egypt. They recorded and measured in meticulous detail Egypt's topography, flora and fauna, and its ancient and contemporary architecture. A soldier who was part of the expedition found the famous Rosetta Stone, which the French linguist and scholar Jean-François Champollion (1790-1832) later used to unlock many of the mysteries that long had surrounded the language of ancient Egypt.
The Egyptian expedition ended with a total military failure. The French left Egypt in 1801, with the honors of war, but defeated; yet military failure remains a significant event in the history of knowledge because it is the first time a military expedition was accompanied by a scientific expedition. In 1802 Napoleon authorized the publication of the commission's findings in a monumental, multi-volume work that included plates, maps, scholarly essays, and a detailed index. Publication of the original Imperial edition began in 1809 and continued to 1822, sold by subscription. It proved so popular that a second edition was published under the post-Napoleonic Bourbon Restoration. The "Royal edition" published in Paris by C.L.F. Panckoucke from 1820-1830.
The Second edition consists of 11 or 12 volumes of plates in folio and 24 of text [bound as 26] 8vo.
Brunet:II, 617; Blackmer/Navari: 476 [1st edition] 425 by 590mm (16¾ by 23¼ inches).
ref: 1967 €400