Le Roy, Julien DavidLe Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the Lantern of Demosthenes, Athens. "Vue de la Lanterne de Demosthene à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view the" Lantern of Demosthenes "or Lysicrates Monument, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the monument as part of the French Capuchin monastry, with a group of musicians and dancers in the street.
The monastry founded in 1658, succeeded in purchasing the monument,in 1669 when it was being called the "Lantern of Diogenes" after the famous Athenian cynic philosopher of the 4th century BC. A reading of its inscription by Jacob Spon established its original purpose. and that it was was erected by the choregos Lysicrates, a wealthy patron of musical performances in the Theater of Dionysus, to commemorate the award of first prize in 335/334 BC to one of the performances he had sponsored. [The choregos was the sponsor who paid for and supervised the training of the dramatic dance-chorus.] It was erected in the Street of the Tripods an ancient road that led from the sanctuary of Dionysos around the east and northeast sides of the Acropolis and the monument is adorned with a frieze depicting episodes of the life of Dionysus, the god whose rites developed into Greek theatre. (In the Middle Ages, the monument also acquired the nickname "Lantern of Demosthenes" from the erroneous belief that the 4h century orator composed his speeches there.)
Lord Byron stayed at the Capuchin monastery during his second visit to Greece. In 1818, friar Francis planted in its gardens the first tomato plants in Greece. In 1821 the convent, which had enclosed the monument, used as a storage for books, was burned during the Ottoman occupation of Athens, and subsequently demolished, and the monument was inadvertently exposed to the weather. In 1829, the monks offered the structure to an Englishman on tour, but it proved to be too cumbersome to disassemble and ship. Lord Elgin negotiated unsuccessfully for the monument, by then an icon in the Greek Revival.
French archaeologists cleared the rubble from the half-buried monument and searched the area for missing architectural parts. In 1876–1887, the architects François Boulanger and E. Loviot supervised a restoration under the auspices of the French government. Bright dark impression; light foxing ,mainly to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 310 by 465mm (12¼ by 18¼ inches). €850
Le Roy, Julien DavidLe Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the port of Pireus, Athens. "Vue du Port de Piée à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view the port of Pireus, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the natural port of Pireus, with the Acropolis in the far background and the hill of Lycabetus, Bright dark impression; light foxing ,mainly to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 313 by 466mm (12¼ by 18¼ inches). €650
Le Roy, Julien DavidLe Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of various fragments of a Temple situated in a part of Attika called Thoricos "Vue du Port de Piée à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view of ancient Thoricos, now called Lavrion, Attika from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank. The view shows the ruins of a Doric temple in the foreground with the harbour in the midground and the island of Makronisi (Macri) behind. ThLe Roy peoples the scene with various figures, some of whom seem to be excavating the ruins and taking measurements whilst others in European dress look on. Thoricus was an ancient Greek city in southern Attica, where lead and silver was mined. Thoricus was the mining centre of the Laureotica. There is evidence of lead extraction from the 3rd millennium BC and of silver from 1500 BC. large Doric temple (late 5th century BC), may have been a Telesterion for the cult of Demeter and Persephone Good impression; light spotting to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 304 by 467mm (12 by 18½ inches). €450
Scarce French map after Ortelius's "Graecia Sophiani".
Le Roy,H."H LeRoy Fecit" Greece."Ελλαs. Graecia Sophiani.""A Paris " "Chez N Langlois rue Saint Jaques àla Victoire" c1640-60
Copper engraved map of Greece after Ortelius by Henri Le Roy. Original outline colour; verso blank. Decorative title cartouche and scale. The map by Henri Le Roy seems to have first been published by Michel Van Lochom in 1636 and then by J Boisseau in 1643 in his " Tresor des Cartes Géographiques". Thereafter the plate seems to have passed through a number of hands including that of Pierre Mariette who was stepfather to Nicolas Langlois the present publisher. Dark impression; signs of former framing, leading to toning and tape to edges on verso; dampstain to lower margin; centrefold split, due to removal of guard, repaired to verso.
This edition not in Zacharakis [ Zacharakis; 2019/1344, 2020/1345, 2021/1346 and 451/274 variants] 355 by 488mm (14 by 19¼ inches). €850
Mercator Gerhard, Hondius Jodicus. Macedonia, Epirus & Achaia. "Macedonia, Epirus et Achaia." Amsterdam, " Exusum in aedibus Jodici Hondij veneunt etiam apud Corneliu Nicolai. item apud Joannem Janssoniu Arnhemi." 1607
Copper engraved map of Continental Greece from the first edition of Gerhard Mercator's "Atlas Minor". Latin text to verso. The map shows mainland Greece from Macedonia, Epirus and Achaia with the nearby islands. Dark impression; old ink number to upper margin just touching plate; damp stain to lower margin just touching plate.
Koeman: Me186; Zacharakis 2222/1459. 147` by 177mm (5¾ by 7 inches). €150
Mercator, Gerhard . Macadonien, Epirus und Achaia. "Macedonia, Epirus and Achaia." Amsterdam Janssonius, Jan 1649
Copper engraved map of Macedonia, Epirus & Achaia by Mercator, published by Janssonius in his "Novus Atlas, Das ist: Welt-Beschreibung... " Vol 3. Original old colour; German text to verso. The map first appears in the second part of Mercator's Atlas in 1589 [Me11]. Decorative title cartouche surrounded by putti; ships to sea. Good dark impression; toned as so often with Janssonius maps, with some show through of text from verso; splits at upper and lower centre fold [ each approx 60-70mm repaired with tape to verso]; margins trimmed, as can be seen on the verso just touching some words.
Zacharakis:2213/1453; Koeman II: Me.136 A/ Nnn, map71]. 360 by 435mm (14¼ by 17¼ inches). €650
Mortier, Pierre. Macedonia. "Macedonia Alexandri Magni Patria." Amsterdam Petrum Mortier 1705
Copper engraved map of Macedonia by Pierre Mortier from his "Atlas Antiquus" edited by Joannes Clericus. Original outline colour; verso blank. The map shows the kingdom of Macedonia, birth place of Alexander the Great; part of Thesaly and Epirus and an unnamed, strangely shaped Kerkyra. Dark impression: generally clean and bright; age toning to edges .
Zacharakis;2394/1567; KoemanIII:Mor 4;map62. 439 by 555mm (17¼ by 21¾ inches). €650
Münster, SebastianNew Griechenland so ieczunt Türctei ist. "New Griechen land mit andern anstossenden Landern wie es zu unsern zeiten beschriben ist" Basle Petri, Heinrich. c1544-72
Woodcut map of Greece after Ptolomaeus from Sebastien Munster's "Cosmographia". Modern hand colour; German title panel on verso is surrounded by an engraved city view [uncoloured]. The map first appeared in the 1540 Basle edition of Ptolomaeus edited by Munster. It is extremely difficult to identify from which edition of the "Cosmographia" the map is taken; Petri published 27 editions with German text.between 1544-1572 . Dark impression; some soiling to blank margins; 2 short tears to lower margin repaired with archival tape to verso.
Zacharakis:2438. 256 by 346mm (10 by 13½ inches). €500
Münster, Sebastian. "Nova Græcia secundum omnes regiones & ptovincias citra & ultra Hellispontum" " Tabula Nova Graciae...." Basileae Henricum Petri 1552.
Double page woodcut map of Greece from Sebastian Münster's famous "Cosmographia". Black and white; Latin title to verso.
The map shows Greece and the Balkan peninsular according to Ptolomaeus, with part of Asia Minor [ Turkey]. the map first appeared in Munster's Basle edition of Ptolemy in 1540; it would be replaced in 1588 with a map of Modern Greece [Zach .2439/1580] Good impression; small hole at top centre fold above title and at lower centre fold in blank margin[ from former binding]; light diagonal creases to lower corners; minor staining to margins.
Zacharakis :2438/1579. 255 by 342mm (10 by 13½ inches). €500
Ortelius, Abraham."Iacobo Castado" Griecken."Graeciae Univerae Secundum hodierum situm Neoterica Descriptio." "Antverpiæ"/Antwerp.. " ghedruckt by Gieles van Diest." 1571/3
Copper engraved map of Greece after Jacob Gastaldi from Ortelius' "Theatrum Orbis Terrarum" 1571 edition; coloured ;Dutch text to verso. The map is from the first Dutch text edition of the "Theatrum". Good dark impression; ligtly toned; old red crayon lines from Arta to Lamia and on the Isthmus of Corinth, various other pencil underlinings; Short centrefo0ld split at lower margin [repaired to verso].
Van de Krogt :3; .Koeman: Ort 3, 40; Zacherakis: 2485/1610; van den Broecke:146. 362 by 513mm (14¼ by 20¼ inches). €1100